Re: openssh server remote access

On Sat, 23 Oct 2021 08:42:09 +0300
Semih Ozlem <semihozlemlinuxuser@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are there specific tutorials websites that you can recommend, how
> about port forwarding. From where which sites in particular can I
> learn about these topics?

Here's a good practical guide:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-ssh-keys-2

This site generally isn't specific to Debian, but it has lots of useful
tutorials. The Arch Linux site is also good for documentation.

Here is the ultimate authority, but it may contain too much detail for
a beginner. These are the client and server configuration files, which
are commented, but there's more detail here:

https://www.ssh.com/academy/ssh/config
https://www.ssh.com/academy/ssh/sshd_config

Mostly the default configuration files are OK, you may want to change
the port number or disable passwords. Most of the insecure options are
already disabled.

> Joe <joe@jretrading.com>, 22 Eki 2021 Cum, 00:08 tarihinde şunu yazdı:
>
> > On Thu, 21 Oct 2021 23:48:38 +0300
> > Semih Ozlem <semihozlemlinuxuser@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I think it was something like "ssh: connect to host .... port 22:
> > > Connection refused" It will take me a little while to get the same
> > > error message again.

The ssh protocol by default works on TCP port 22, but the sshd (server)
configuration file allows different ports to be specified. If you have
port 22 open to the Internet, you will get many firewall logs for
people trying brute-force password attacks, which tells you why you
should be using keys. Using a different port won't be any more secure,
but it will stop these logs.

Wherever you want to connect from must have a clear path to the ssh
port of your server. If you want to connect across the Internet, then
your Internet router must forward the ssh port to the server computer.
How to do this is specific to each model of router, but it's usually
easy to work out. It will ask for an incoming protocol (TCP) and port
number, the IP address of the destination computer in your network, and
sometimes a destination port. In the latter case, you can still use
port 22 on the server but accept something else entirely from over the
Net. If the ssh server computer has a firewall, then it must have the
relevant port opened, which again will be specific to the software you
use for the firewall.