Re: question from total newbie. a little help please

On 10/17/21 6:00 AM, JAMES BOSWELL wrote:
if i divide my hard drive and install debian lynx on it. will i be able to
effectively run debian on this laptop?

Device name LAPTOP-R4DB7V5U
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-10110U CPU @ 2.10GHz   2.59 GHz
Installed RAM 4.00 GB (3.81 GB usable)
Device ID CAACC244-37B7-4294-84E4-E73B9C030FDF
Product ID 00356-02325-39311-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 21H1
Installed on ‎4/‎2/‎2021
OS build 19043.1288
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

i know about enough to fill a thimble but i'm hopeful and any guidance
would be greatly appreciated and i would follow it to the T's

You processor has hardware support for virtualization:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/196451/intel-core-i310110u-processor-4m-cache-up-to-4-10-ghz.html

Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x) ‡ Yes
Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) ‡ Yes
Intel® VT-x with Extended Page Tables (EPT) ‡ Yes

I recommend that you install Oracle VirtualBox, create a virtual machine (VM), and install Debian GNU/Linux into the VM:

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

David