Re: A .profile puzzle

On Sunday 17 October 2021 12:35:01 deloptes wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > 1. Before the latest failure I could do all this as me because the
> > mount point for the card is in my home directory, I own it all. And
> > didn't have to be root to do any of it.  This was not fixed by a 2nd
> > reboot.
>
> I guess this problem is not related to the .profile issue you are
> having below.

Agreed.

> Check the permissions on the mount point

done, I still own it.

> and the fstab

its not in fstab, never was. I touched a file in
home/gene/Downloads/3dp.stf named sdb1 to create a mount I didn't have
to search thru /media to access.

Up until this 5 second power failure, I could, as me, mount that SD card
there, and use mc, as me, to overwrite a file on that card, then sync;
eject sdb1. Led on card adapter goes out, pull the card, take it back to
the printer and select and print the updated file.  Now I have to be
root to do any of it except the printer. The card is vfat, which has no
concept of file ownership.

> and also your
> group membership.

gene@dddprint:~/AppImages$ cat /etc/group|grep gene
dialout:x:20:gene
cdrom:x:24:gene
sudo:x:27:gene
audio:x:29:pulse,gene
video:x:44:gene
gene:x:1000:

Nothing changed there in months.

> The SD card might also need a fsck.

by whose fsck?

> > 2. and another pesky thing is starting a konsole to do work, needs a
> > $PATH modification that we used to put in ~.profile. But opening a
> > terminal hasn't called a ". .profile" since about jessie.  So thats
> > another PITA.
> >
> > So, what has replaced .profile as the function for such as that in
> > recent releases?
>
> AFAIK bash is not reading profile when you login, but not sure - it
> could be also that it is not a login shell.

XFCe login, I think. I only see it once on that machine. logging in
remotely with "ssh -Y machine-name" or 'user1000'@machine-name is how I
generally run things from a comfy chair.

> AFAIK you should open the terminal with "bash --login" to read the
> profile. So try in the terminal "bash --login"

Done, but no change in the $PATH. But it did take two ctl-d's to exit it.

> I have put in my .profile
>
> alias bash='bash --login'
>
> long time ago

Thank you deloptes.