Re: why pae kernel has only 3G memory

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 10:05:13AM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> On Fri 15 Oct 2021 at 07:48:06 (-0400), lou wrote:
>
> > https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-t5740e-thin-client/4282707/manuals
> >
> > from hp's QuickSpecs: Note: Minimum of 1GB and a maximum of 4GB* (2 X
> > 2GB) can be supported (*Up to 1 GB may not be available with 32-bit
> > operating systems due to system resource requirements.)
> >
> > bios reports 4032M memory, missing 64M might be used by graphics card
>
> It's not mi-ght but mi-nimum in my download.
>
> > it seems to me that hp says that problem of missing memory is with
> > 32-bit OS, not with hp
>
> This problem is well known, and of fading interest to most. Start at:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_GB_barrier
>
> If your OP arises out of curiosity, I think that should deal with it.
> If you're inconvenienced over it, then it's probably time to retire
> or repurpose the hardware. In any case, it looks overdue for a
> software upgrade to at least buster, unless something specific is
> holding you back.
>
> Cheers,
> David.

Upgrade to Buster (following the release notes and hints given in this group)
 then to Bullseye. Any particular reason why you must use pae rather than
the standard 32 bit kernel?

Checking, it looks as if the N280 is 32 bit only.

It's a nice, small thin client drawing low power but don't expect
superb performance at this class of hardware.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater