Re: general broad question for help in setting up linux server and suggestions

On 10/15/21, Christian Britz <cbritz@t-online.de> wrote:

> Semih Ozlem wrote:
>> How much does it cost to run a server full time, is it cheaper to run
>> one yourself or to rent one online? Do you have an estimate? or range?
>> (cost could be electricity and internet connection used?)
>>

> Assuming that you want to use your private Internet connection at the
> beginning and you have a flatrate, there will be only the electricity
> causing extra costs.
> Keep in mind that your local Internet provider will probably not assign
> you a fixed IP adress, so you will probably need to use some sort of
> DynDNS service (should be cheap).
> When your project becomes more professional, I would recommend switching
> to a hosted solution.

Which reminds that you have to make sure that hosting a personal
server doesn't violate terms of service from one's ISP (Internet
service provider). It depends on the type of connection, that kind of
thing. It would byte to have to go scrambling for a new way to
continue an existing setup with established traffic if one is suddenly
shut down for unknowingly violating those terms.

Just thinking out loud.. and my apologies in advance if that subject
was already mentioned. :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey