Re: general broad question for help in setting up linux server and suggestions

Semih Ozlem wrote:

I am thinking of setting up a server, both for local (at home use), (I have already set up say samba server or openssh server) to be used only under one modem. However due to lack of machines dedicated for that purpose the server is not continuing.

I would like to make a server I set up say at home available at the workplace as well so that I don't have to run back home while at work. If possible make the server accessible via a smart phone or some other computer.

Two comments:

1.  If you want to make the server available, via the net, you need to look at something like Dynamic DNS.  Broadband services tend to periodically reassign your IP address.

2.  If you have any expectation of providing any services - even something as basic as hosting an email list, you can easily swamp a desktop/laptop class machine.  You probably want to look at something Xeon based.

Personally, I've been looking rather longingly at the Intel NUC 9 Pro - which provides a huge amount of capability in a mini-pc chassis.  Basically, a workstation class mini-pc.  Of course, it's hard to get one's hands on them these days, and a well-loaded system will easily set you back $2-3000.  You can get some comparable, Supermicro mini-itx boxes for a bit less.

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown