Re: How exactly do I create a Debian live USB?

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 10:09:10AM -0400, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, October 11, 2021 09:20:25 AM kaye n wrote:
> > So that's the issue.
> > What desktop environment would you guys recommend for a desktop computer
> > with these specs?
> >
> > CPU:
> >   Dual Core: Intel Core2 Duo E8400 type: MCP speed: 1998 MHz
> >   min/max: 670/10166 MHz
> > Graphics:
> >   Device-1: Intel 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel
> >   Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: intel
> >   unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
> >   OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945G v: 1.4 Mesa 18.3.6
> >
> > Do I choose xfce, kde, mate, etc. ?
>
> I'll give you my perspective:
>
> Back in the day (ca. 2000), after some testing, I chose to use kde instead of
> gnome (and I don't remember what other alternatives I tried).  Everything in
> gnome seemed hard to see -- fuzzy and dark (just my impression).  Kde seemed
> easy to see, not fuzzy, and nice and bright.  (Of course some of that depends
> on the theme chosen.)

This is a fairly old machine with shared memory for graphics.

XFCE / LXQt will probably work as well as anything else. LXQt is KDE-like.

Avoid the heavyweight desktops like GNOME/KDE. You will probably find
problems most with Firewfox or any web browser which have now become
memory hogs.

Even Cinnamon and Mate are probably too heavy here. Don't expect fast
performance with modern software which tends to be memory hungry.

> I eventually adopted kmail as my favorite email client.  (That remains true up
> through at least Debian Wheezy, in other words, when the primary means of
> email storage is via mbox.  Later versions of kmail apparently use a database
> (don't remember the name) and I hear about problems with that.)  So I wouild
> like to stick to a version of kde which uses a version of kmail which uses
> mbox for storage.
>
> There is a distribution (again, can't remember the name (it is a bitch getting
> old) -- Gene Heskett may chime in to remind me, that is basically based on,
> well, I'll call it a fork of kde3, which still uses the kmail that uses mbox
> for storage.  When I retire my Wheezy system, I'll probably but that OS on
> that box.

rhkramer - retire or upgrade your Wheezy system NOW. Don't delay, take it
off the network ASAP. That lost all support - including security support
of any description over three years ago now. For instructions on how
to upgrade between releases - see any number of posts here within the
last couple of months.

All best, as ever, to all,

Andy Cater