Re: New debian installation disk partition

On Lu, 11 oct 21, 13:18:55, Josef Strýček wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question how to partition new debain installation.I have 64GB ssd
> and 500GB hdd. Can I have / on ssd with ext4 and hdd with btrfs /hame /var
>
> /tmp /opt.

Sure you can.

> Could you recommend layout for ssd and hdd, that ssd is not
> overwritten unnecessarily

My recommendation would be to have only /home on the HDD, unless you
expect the others to become too big for the SSD.

For regular use[1] the SSD should be just fine, and you should already
have a good strategy to restore your operating system quickly if needed.

If your SSD fails too soon it wasn't worth it anyway and hopefully you
can still replace it in warranty ;)

> and ideal filesystem for ssd and hdd.

There is no such thing as "ideal", it depends very much on your needs.

In almost all cases ext4 will be just fine for general use. You are
unlikely to notice any significant improvement with other file systems
unless you have very special[1] needs.

Since you mentioned btrfs, do you actually need any of its additional
features compared to ext4? With only one HDD its benefits will be
limited (snapshots and subvolumes only?) while increasing complexity.

See also:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/09/examining-btrfs-linuxs-perpetually-half-finished-filesystem/

[1] You would know if your use is special ;)

Kind regards,
Andrei