Re: Then it happened to me...

On 2021-10-10 at 06:21, Bret Busby wrote:

> On 10/10/21 4:47 pm, piorunz wrote:
>
>> On 10/10/2021 08:48, Brad Rogers wrote:

>>> No.  'Newer' = 'better' is a false equivalency.
>>
>> First online forums were created, in fact, in 70s. Is that new to
>> you?
>
> Interesting, given that The Internet did not exist in the 1970's...

I'd guess that he(?) is referring to BBSes; while they were before my
time, I understand them to have largely been dial-up posting fora, and I
can see the analogy to online forums as they have existed in the era of
the Internet.

That said, I could also see an argument that they're more similar to
mailing lists than you might think, and even *more* similar to Usenet.

(FAOD: I concur with those who think that Web-based fora are inferior to
mailing lists for this type of discussion, and that this type of issue
is more likely to be a transitory hiccup than a serious reason to
consider abandoning mailing-list technology for the less-capable new
hotness of a Web forum.)

(This is the first message I've posted here since the problem began
manifesting, and only the second this month. I will be interested to see
whether, and if so at what point, the problem manifests for me as well.)

--
   The Wanderer