bullseye and running graphics over ssh

For years (decades, actually) I have routinely executed graphical programs over ssh (i.e., I sit at computer A, ssh into computer B, then run a graphical program on computer B whose windows, mouse events, etc., all occur on computer A).

In bullseye, at least out-of-the-box bullseye, this suddenly no longer works.

I have bullseye running on both computers. The first indication of a problem is immediately when I log in via ssh. I now see:
  xrdb: Can't open display ''
as part of the login process.

The cause seems to be the line:
   xrdb -load ~/.Xresources
in .bashrc.

For some reason that no longer works as it has in the past. And this seems to be because the DISPLAY variable hasn't been set.

I really don't understand what's going on, because this has worked forever.

And naturally, since DISPLAY isn't set, nothing else works.

Can someone point me to some instructions as to how to fix all this? I suspect it's all to do with Wayland suddenly becoming the default.

But I can't find any way to STOP bullseye using Wayland and forcing it to revert to the X that I've known since the 1990s. There must be some way either to get X working over Wayland or to remove Wayland until it properly supports X sessions unobtrusively; but I can't find it.

   Doc

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans