Re: network problem (fwd)

On Wed 06 Oct 2021 at 14:09:23 (+0200), Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> please note that the main problem is
>   "why the /etc/network/interfaces" is not used?"

> I have the following problem on my laptop.
> my /etc/network/interfaces file contains:
>    auto enp0s1
>    iface enp0s1  inet static
>    address 192.168.1.10
>    netmask 255.255.255.0
>    gateway 192.168.1.1
>
>    but after boot, ifconfig gives
>
>    address 192.168.0.163
>    netmask 255.255.255.0
>    gateway 192.168.1.1
>
>    Then, networking works i.e. I can reach Internet, but of course
>    not my desktop and other devices 192.168.1.xx
>
>    I looked on the entire disk to find where this address 192.168.0.163
>    is hidden, but I was unable to find it !
>
>    rather strange, isn't it?

One possibility might be that you've somehow got yourself connected to
the WAN side of your router, rather that the LAN side.
I think you should login to your router and see what the address of
the Internet Port is.
I seem to remember that happening to someone here with one of those
"captive" or ISP-managed modem/routers.
It's one reason why we run three routers at home: one that Cox rent,
the real one (mine), and one with a broken WAN port that we use as
a switch and wireless repeater.

Cheers,
David.