Re: how to install node.js on debian (Docker) with 'apt-get' - having issues

/dev /local/ca wrote:
> How would I get the latest version of node.js (16.x.x) installed on Debian
> (in a Docker container)

You decide who you trust and trust them by pulling from their
repository.

> What's up with the package repo that 'apt-get' pulls from, that it will not
> install later versions of node (14.x or greater)?

$ apt show nodejs -a
Package: nodejs
Version: 12.22.5~dfsg-2~11u1

That's what's in the Bullseye (stable) repo. Buster is oldstable. Stable means
stable, you can rely on it for years. oldstable means it's a
whole generation older than that.

What stable and oldstable do not mean is "fresh" and "cool".

> FROM python:alpine

A completely different repository...

> Is there something equivalent for python:buster (Debian based)

No. However, you can specify a new repository that you trust --
perhaps via  https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_16.x  -- you can
then apt install files from there.

Beware. They aren't Debian, they're debianized.

> Is there a way some how to get a package repo maintainers attention to show
> me how to get a recent version (14..16), into the apt-get repository?

There are a large finite number of repositories. Debian buster
is old. Debian bullseye is stable. Whatever nodesource supplies
is what they want to supply to you.

If you're trying to put something into production, you probably
should not blindly pull a fresh installation of anything out of
a random repo every time you recreate a container. That way lies
madness and supply-chain attacks.

Instead, get a copy that you trust and keep it locally. Deploy
that. Watch the upstream bug reports, and upgrade when it seems
good to you. Reproducible builds are your friend.

-dsr-