Re: You have been removed from the list (repeatedly)

On 6/10/21 7:43 pm, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
On Wed, Oct 06, 2021 at 07:39:26AM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Wed, Oct 06, 2021 at 08:27:36AM +0300, Reco wrote:
On Tue, Oct 05, 2021 at 04:40:41PM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
Is there anything I can do to stop it, other than simply
re-subscribing every time I post?

It says there plain and clear:

When in doubt, ... or send mail to "postmaster".

Lists' postmasters were very helpful in pointing at errors in my setup
when I had the problems with the list in the past. Mail them, ask for
help.

I just got bounced and have resubscribed :(

I sent a quick email to listmaster@lists.debian.org to let them know what's
happening.

I'm guessing this user / users can be added to a deny list / deny block -
I thought OVH was already deny-listed a while back.

All best,

Andy C.

That paragraph is telling me to talk to "postmaster@wooledge.org" which
is, unfortunately, me.

The most probable cause of your troubles - you do not have DMARC policy
published, which means the whole Internet could send bounces to the list
on your behalf. SPF policy that you have published is not enough.

Another thing I have to learn?!  Crap.  Well, maybe some day I'll find
the time and energy to think about it.

I still don't understand how a bounce message that was received by
the Debian mail server ("Delivered-To: lists-debian-user@bendel.debian.org")
with a "From postmaster@vps268904.ovh.net" on top of it can cause *me*
to become unsubscribed.  The only place my email address is mentioned
is at the top of the body.

Is a message sent from Alice to lists-debian-user@bendel.debian.org with
Bob's address at the top of the body considered a "bounce from Bob"?
That sounds like a huge bug in bendel.debian.org to me.

Either that, or they're not showing me enough context to understand how
this particular message from ovh.net got *me* in trouble.

I guess the only thing I can do *right now* is hope that whoever this
ovh user is, they'll fix their setup and/or *actually* unsubscribe
instead of just thinking they have unsubbed.

I believe that the solution is simple, and, what the list administrator(s) of the Debian User list will not do; simply disallow messages posted to the list, from non-subscribers.

It is simple, will minimise spurious removals from the list, and, minimise spamming of the list.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale