Re: network problem

	Hi.

On Tue, Oct 05, 2021 at 10:00:45PM +0200, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> hi,
> I have the following problem on my laptop.
> my /etc/network/interfaces file contains:
>    auto enp0s1
>    iface enp0s1  inet static
>    address 192.168.1.10
>    netmask 255.255.255.0
>    gateway 192.168.1.1

That's probably Ok.

>    but after boot, ifconfig gives
>
>    address 192.168.0.163
>    netmask 255.255.255.0
>    gateway 192.168.1.1

And that is not.

First, ifconfig is not able to show you IP routing, so please be more
specific at how exactly you've got this result.
Second, it's impossible to have a working default gateway that's outside
the subnet you're having, and it's exactly what you have here.

>    Then, networking works i.e. I can reach Internet, but of course
>    not my desktop and other devices 192.168.1.xx

Third, the whole purpose of default gateway is to let you communicate
with host that are outside your subnet.

>    rather strange, isn't it?

dpkg -l 'ifupdown*'
dpkg -l 'network*'