Re: network problem

Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> hi,
> I have the following problem on my laptop.
> my /etc/network/interfaces file contains:
>    auto enp0s1
>    iface enp0s1  inet static
>    address 192.168.1.10
>    netmask 255.255.255.0
>    gateway 192.168.1.1
>
>    but after boot, ifconfig gives
>
>    address 192.168.0.163
>    netmask 255.255.255.0
>    gateway 192.168.1.1
>
>    Then, networking works i.e. I can reach Internet, but of course
>    not my desktop and other devices 192.168.1.xx
>
>    I looked on the entire disk to find where this address 192.168.0.163
>    is hidden, but I was unable to find it !
>
>    rather strange, isn't it?

First, let's see if you have the right interface.

ip link show |grep enp0s1

if that doesn't show you a line of config, you are specifying
the wrong interface.

ip link show

will show all of them to you.

Second, let's see if something else is doing the configuration:

grep -C1 ifupdown /etc/NetworkManager

(you want this to show managed=false)

ls /etc/systemd/network/

(you would like this to be empty)