Re: Authentication in CUPS (IPP) and sane (eSCL)?

On Tue 05 Oct 2021 at 10:17:06 -0600, Charles Curley wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Oct 2021 14:16:10 +0100
> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > In which manual section, or on which page, is access control
> > described?
>
> I take it you mean for the printer, not CUPS. For the printer, it is on
> the embedded web server.
>
> https://hpm234ethernet.... -> Networking -> Advanced.
>
> It isn't described, but the available options are to require IPP or
> eSCL authentication, and if so to set a user name and password. Both
> have the annotation,
>
>     Users printing from mobile devices will be required to provide this
>     Name/password combination. Username and Password can contain any
>     printable characters except "()<>@,;:\/[]?={}"

Thanks for the detail.

The emphasis is on mobile devices. I wonder why they are singled out?
Interesting.

I would set a Username and Password and see how you go on printing and
scanning using CUPS and SANE and your iPhone.

> I don't see anything in the User Guide.

Neither do I. Expecting explanations in a Guide is optimistic, but a
mentiom would not be out of place.

A single, unique Username/Password combination is all that is required.
What is the liklihood of its remaining unknwn in an orgaisation for very
long? Security doesn't appear to be enhanced.

--
Brian.