Re: excessive memory use by several gnome programs

On 05/10/2021 16:24, L Dimov wrote:
My fans were going crazy after restart, as usual, so I finally looked at
the System Monitor to find that with no programs started by me,
gnome-contacts-search-provider was using the most, reaching up to 1.8
GB. All 8 CPUs were running on 99 to 100%. After several minutes it
dropped to nothing. Is that normal? The computer sounds like a jet
taking off.

At present, evolution-addressbok-factory is using 478 MB of memory,
consistently for several tens of minutes (and still the biggest user
among the processes. Looks like a lot to me - is that normal?

I am on a Dell Lattitude 5490 laptop, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, intel core
i5 vPro 8t gen, 2-3 years old.
Thanks!
Luben

I don't think that's unusual for Gnome. As you said, CPU went up and
down again, so it's probably not a bug causing CPU to be pinned down
indefinitely in the loop. Gnome was doing something and it finished.

Consider using other desktop environments which respect your computer
resources.

--
With kindest regards, Piotr.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀