Re: unhappy upgrade

On Mon 04 Oct 2021 at 21:16:06 (-0400), Roy J. Tellason, Sr. wrote:
> On Monday 04 October 2021 07:55:25 pm David Wright wrote:

> > It would help people trying to follow what you are doing just to confirm at each stage which version you're now running.
> > I /think/ you've got as far as stretch.
>
> Yes,  I wanted to get the issues that I was seeing resolved before I went ahead and proceeded with the rest of the upgrades.  At this point I've copied things from the laptop (which got very flaky on me) back to the workstation and I am doing my mail there,  like I used to.  The font is too damn small,  though.
>
> > So the main things to confirm as working are the specific points mentioned in the respective Release Notes. In stretch that would
> > be, for example, the 4.9 kernel is finding everything,
>
> About the only issue that I've noticed after this stuff all getting fixed is that there's something up with the sound.  Given the details of what advice I saw someone else getting,  I have a few things to look at.  The virtualbox OS complained about it too.  :-)

I can't see the point unless you depend on, say, a screen reader to be
able to move forward at all. After all, how long are you intending to
run stretch for?

> > that X may be running as a user (rather than root) on the console it's started from,
>
> I'm not sure I see the concern here.

An issue that caught some people out was finding the X server log,
as it had to move out of /var/log/ (users don't have permission),
and into a "hidden" directory, ~/.local/share/xorg/. Running
root-owned applications is different, and you can get permissions
problems with opening devices. Unusual though.

> > and that your ethernet or wireless connectivity is still good. (Changes were made to the kernel device naming.)
>
> Ethernet is working fine here,  as evidenced by the fact that I'm moving lots of data back and forth (32GB for this virtualbox stuff ferinstance) and that I'm doing my mail on this system now.  If there had been any issues with that I sure would've been jumping all over it,  as I tend to use networking rather heavily.  And there is no wireless on this machine.
>
> > Those are just a few I recall, but note they all relate to the OS rather than details in configuring third-party applications.
> > Once that's done, time to read the next set of Release Notes. Note that even things like the best tool (apt-get or aptitude) to
> > upgrade with may vary from release to release which, remember, are normally separated by a couple of years of tool development.
>
> I saw a couple of references that stated that aptitude had been recommeded earlier but that apt was now a better choice.

Yes, I think apt is recommended for an interactive upgrade.

> So we'll see how it goes from here.  My upgrade path for this step went like this:
>
> apt-get autoremove
> edit the sources.list file replacing jessie with stretch
> apt-get update
> apt-get upgrade
> apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> And then reboot,  and see how well things work.  Or maybe reboot a couple of times...

Yes, apt-get was recommended for upgrading to stretch. Note however
that if you perform your next upgrades with apt, as recommended,
some of the command names (like dist-upgrade) will differ in apt.

> We'll see how it goes.

Good luck.

Cheers,
David.