Re: Slow graphics on Intel Xtreme?

On Sat 02 Oct 2021 at 07:10:58 (+0000), Nils wrote:
> Well, still... The thing is, that games that run flawlessly on Windows XP have like 1 FPS on Debian.
> So... It **does** have the ability to run these games.

Should we be surprised that a laptop from 2004 works well with
a contemporary Windows OS—so did my Travelmate from the same year.

But as each version of Debian is released, I have to retweak
things to get X to run reliably. However, I can still browse
(slowly) on buster, and it plays videos reasonably smoothly
unless their resolution exceeds the screen's. I get the
impression it runs faster on jessie, so smoother videos, but
I wouldn't consider opening a browser.

It's a modest 1.50GHz Pentium with 500MB memory with 64MB video
memory. In Wheezy, I needed Option "AGPFastWrite" "no" in
xorg.conf, but in buster I get by with nomodeset in the kernel line.
Obviously I only run a WM, not a DE.

It would be a pleasant surprise if someone in Debian or the kernel
team took an interest in what tweaks to make, perhaps by chance
still running a similar video card (mine being an ATI Radeon
Mobility: 0x4e50).

> >Nils composed on 2021-09-29 03:27 (UTC):
> >
> >> I got a laptop from 2004, Intel Xtreme graphics inside.
> >> Everything works fine, except 3D and even 2D acceleration. These seem to run fully on software even tho glxinfo claims opengl availability?
> >
> >> Here are the specs:
> >>  - Intel Celeron (2.6 GHz, single-core)
> >>  - 15" TFT (XGA 1024x768)
> >>  - 1 GB of RAM
> >>  - Intel Xtreme Graphics up to 64 MB, On demand ...

Cheers,
David.