Re: buggy N-M (was: Debian 11: Unable to detect wireless interface on an old laptop) computer

On Ma, 28 sep 21, 10:28:49, Cindy Sue Causey wrote:
> On 9/28/21, tomas@tuxteam.de <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> >> What a great argument!
> >
> > I don't care very much about N-M. It's not the kind of software I
> > enjoy. Too complex for my taste. De gustibus...
>

> I started to chime in last night, but my brain took a vacation. Maybe
> the "complex" was what happened to me, too.
>
> Last night I was only going to say "nm" didn't used to (and may still
> not) play nice with similar packages installed on the same machine. It
> was an either/or situation. I took the "or" with wicd then wicd-curses
> and have never looked back.

With me it was the other way around. I tried wicd, mostly based on the
bad reputation of Network Manager, but it was unreliable when switching
between wired and wireless.

Eventually I switched to Network Manager and never had any significant
problem since.

This was on unstable, somewhere around the release of wheezy, and I
would frequently switch the laptop between wired and wireless.

> That's with hardwires, though. I haven't
> had an excuse to spend time duking it out with attaching wireless.

Wouldn't bother with a "heavy" manager for wired only. ifupdown and more
recently systemd-networkd is more than enough.

> What fried my brain last night was on trying to remember if nm had
> been too "complicated" and thus not user-friendly for *me*. I still
> see other people rave about it. That's cool. At the end of the day, it
> means our brains function (comprehend) differently, but we all seem to
> be arriving at the same place: Connected to whatever it is we need to
> use. That's where the beauty of Debian offering CHOICE comes into
> play.

For me it's just a piece of software that does what I need it to do.

Kind regards,
Andrei