Re: Clone Debian 10 partitions to another HD

On 10/1/21 05:40, frantal@libero.it wrote:
About the questions sent:

Thank you for the information.

Fujitsu Esprimo P2560 MI4W-D2041

https://support.ts.fujitsu.com/IndexDownload.asp?lng=en&OpenTab=

FTS_ESPRIMOP15xxP2440P2540P2550P2560P2760__1079164.PDF

FTS_MainboardD3041ShortDescription_20100126_1081254.PDF

https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Fujitsu-ESPRIMO-P2560/580

Chassis:

2 @ 5.25" external drive bays

1 @ 3.5" external drive bay

2 @ 3.5" internal drive bays

uATX motherboard:

Rear connectors:

1 @ PS2 keyboard port

1 @ PS2 mouse port

1 @ VGA port

1 @ DB-15 serial port

4 @ USB ports

1 @ RJ-45 Ethernet port

1 @ 1/8" TSR audio line in connector

1 @ 1/8" TSR audio line out connector

1 @ 1/8" TS microphone in connector

Internal connectors:

1 @ ATX20 power connector

1 @ LGA775 CPU socket

1 @ CPU fan header

1 @ rear chassis fan header

2 @ memory slots

1 @ PCIe x16 expansion lot

1 @ PCIe x1 expansion slot

2 @ PCI expansion slots

4 @ internal SATA ports

1 @ parallel header

1 @ floppy disk drive header

1 @ front panel header

1 @ front panel audio header

2 @ USB headers

DDR3 800 / 1066 MHz unbuffered DIMM modules 240 pin; 1.5 V; 64
bit, no ECC

512, 1024, 2048 or 4096 MBytes per module

You may use only unbuffered 1.5 V memory modules without ECC.
DDR3 memory modules must comply with the PC3-8500 or PC3-10600 specification.

With a memory configuration of 8 Gbytes, the visible and usable main memory may
be reduced to 7.25 Gbytes (depending on the system configuration).

Intel® Pentium® processor E5700 (2 Cores / 2 Threads, 3.0 GHz, 2 MB, 800 MHz) RAM 2+4 GB.

Video card included in the motherboard

internal HD 300 GB

I think there would be added a second HD of 80 GB or maybe another of 300 GB because actually in the internal HD there are installed Windows 10 and Debian 10.

The use will be general, just internet and some simple use for a normal person (Not special or specifically and deep use).

That machine should work as a basic Linux desktop -- e-mail, simple web browsing, office productivity, etc..

It might be possible to install a better CPU, but that would require more research. I would keep the existing CPU.

Your memory modules appear to be different sizes. Memory modules must be matching pairs to ensure dual-channel operation, which improves overall performance (especially if you are using motherboard graphics). I suggest:

1. Verify that the existing 4 GB module meets the motherboard specifications. If so, obtain a matching module and replace the 2 GB module.

2. If not, or if you cannot match the existing module, install a kit of two matching 4 GB memory modules that meet the motherboard specifications.

Rather than dual-boot, I put drive racks in my computers and put each OS on its own drive. This makes it very easy to install, run, and maintain multiple operating systems:

3. Remove the floppy disk drive and cable, if installed, and install a dual 2.5" SATA 3 drive rack in the external 3.5" bay:

https://www.startech.com/en-us/hdd/hsb220sat25b

4.  Connect the drive rack to the motherboard with SATA 3 cables:

https://www.cablematters.com/

Product ID: 104008-BLK-24x3

5.  You may need a SATA power splitter cable:

https://www.cablematters.com/pc-662-156-3-pack-15-pin-sata-power-y-splitter-cable-8-inches.aspx

If you need more SATA ports, now or in the future:

6.  Install a 2-port SATA 3 HBA in the PCIe x1 slot:

https://www.startech.com/en-us/cards-adapters/pexsat32

The 300 GB SATA HDD is too slow for a system drive and too small for a data drive. I have a 3.5" SATA HDD enclosure with a trayless rack that I use with drives like this for sneaker net, backups, images, etc.. If you decide to go this route, make sure that you get an enclosure with a cooling fan. (3.5" SATA HDD docking stations are another option, but the exposed PCB worries me.)

David