Re: Jessie iceweasel: This Connection is Untrusted

On Fri, Oct 01, 2021 at 09:41:45AM +0200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i am confronted with an old Debian 8 "jessie" machine where since
> (probably) yesterday the Iceweasel browser does not work any more
> with many websites. E.g.
>
>   This Connection is Untrusted
>   lists.debian.org uses an invalid security certificate.
>   The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown.
>   (Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)
>
> Googling around (with Debian 10) gives me the idea that the installed
> package ca-certificates is outdated.
>
> It is currently not an option to upgrade the system to a newer Debian
> version. I am even scared to do what i deduce from
>   https://serverfault.com/questions/891734/debian-wheezy-outdated-root-certificates
> namely:
>
> - add to /etc/apt/sources.list :
>     deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-security/ jessie/updates main
>
> - run:
>     apt-get update
>     apt-get install ca-certificates
>
> Is this a good idea ? Will it do harm to the 6 year old system ?

> If not a good idea:
>
> Is there a known procedure to get and install the certificates manually ?
> I see proposals to download .crt files and run
>   update-ca-certificates --fresh
>
> Where would i get a current set of certificates ?
>
> How do i identify the certificates which the browser does not accept ?
> wget does not tell me the certificate name either.
>

> Have a nice day :)
>
> Thomas

Honestly - I'd suggest disconnecting the machine from the Internet until you
are able to upgrade it - it's far enough out of support that it's now ELTS.

https://deb.freexian.com/extended-lts/

I'd suggest that you consider immediate upgrade if you can - what is the
reason you cannot?

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater