Re: Upgrading buster => bullseye. Canonicalization of /var/log/journal. APPEARS SOLVED.

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 02:35:10PM -0700, peter@easthope.ca wrote:
> I can't explain why / was owned by me.  According to the above it
> happened in the release upgrade two days ago.

No, that's not what that timestamp says.  The timestamp in "ls -ld"
is the modification time (mtime) on the directory, not the change time
(ctime).

The mtime on a directory changes when you create something (a new file
or subdirectory or whatever) inside it, or delete something from it,
or rename something in it.  It doesn't update on chown or chmod.
That would be ctime.

So, we don't know when the ownership changed.  It's probably not something
that can easily be tracked down at this point.  Either you remember
the reason, or you don't.

I'm happy that it's fixed now.