Re: Persistent names for audio devices.

    From: peter@easthope.ca
    Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 09:52:21 -0700
> In spite of the warning, sound is produced.  Good!  Might have a
> reliable way to hear voice messages.
>
> CONCLUSIONS
>
> Audio messages can be interpreted.  Eg.,
> set AUDIODEV=plughw:CARD=ICH5,DEV=0; play m94.WAV

Hasty reply.  In further use, didn't always work.  I removed the PCI
sound card, removed the plastic cover from the sockets on the system
board and connected speakers.  Subsequently commands such as this
always work.

set AUDIODEV=plughw:CARD=ICH5,DEV=0 ; play a42.WAV

SPECULATION

The PCI card was meant to give better quality sound and  was operated
properly by the Windows system present when the machine was sold by
Dell.  When multiple sound devices exist, Linux still doesn't identify
devices properly.

REVISED CONCLUSION

Upstream documentation relating to sound hardware and software needs
attention. Software also needs debugging.

Regards,                  ... P.

--
48.7693 N 123.3053 W
mobile: +1 778 951 5147