Re: silence audio on locked screen?

Richard Hector wrote:
> On 27/09/21 11:39 pm, Dan Ritter wrote:
> >
> > One option is to run a mute and stop-playing command immediately
> > on screensaver interaction.
> >
> > For XFCE4, that's as easy as adding a panel object which runs an
> > application, pointing that at a script, and adding an
> > appropriate icon. Install xmacro.
> >
> > ~/bin/quiet-and-dark
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> > #not actually tested
> > echo 'KeyStrPress XF86AudioPlay KeyStrRelease XF86AudioPlay' | xmacroplay :0
> > echo 'KeyStrPress XF86AudioMute KeyStrRelease XF86AudioMute' | xmacroplay :0
> > xscreensaver -command activate
> >

> > You can also assign it to run as a keyboard shortcut.
>
> Thanks Dan,
>
> If I understand correctly,  you're suggesting to create a clickable button
> which will mute the audio, and then creating a macro to do that from within
> a script, which I then need to run manually?

That sounds inverted. The button executes a script when you
click it; the script mutes and pauses audio, then activates the
screensaver.

There might be a way to invoke the mute-and-pause from the
screensaver when it activates by itself, but I don't know that
one and a few minutes searching didn't reveal it.

> I'd like this to still happen if the screen locks due to inactivity. I
> haven't found yet what triggers that, or where to configure the timeout.

That's in Settings, Screensaver. Try right clicking on an empty
area of desktop.

> Secondly, will it re-enable audio when the screen is unlocked?

This won't, but the same invocations without the final
screensaver activation will un-mute and start playing whatever
is listening to XF86 media keys.

-dsr-