Re: Keep config?

On 9/27/21 7:15 AM, Henning Follmann wrote:
On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 12:02:52PM +0200, Hans wrote:
Hi folks,

just an easy question: How can I force to keep or overwrite a configuration
during an upgrade? As I do not want it set fixed, I am searching for a
solution by setting a command.

I am sure, this can be done with setting a tag (so that I am not asked, if I
want to overwrite or keep), and searched through the manual of apt, aptitude
and dpkg, but somehow I must have something overseen (or misundertood).

Sure way to do this:
make a backup.
for those you chose, restore the config from backup.

It's also a great way to do away with old cruft.
Sometimes programs evolve, become more capable,
which also means it might be a good time for
checking the config again.
Best example /e/a/sources.list :)

What is the solution and where is this described?

Thanks for your help to this silly problem.

Cheers,
-H

Let me echo this. This is also why I don't automatically copy my backup configs to the live system. It has happened that a package changed its defaults or the syntax of its config, and copying the old config over the installed one would be problematic. If possible, doing a diff might be a good idea. Then edit/overwrite as feasible.

Paul