Re: upgrading and stuff

On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 01:03:26PM -0400, Roy J. Tellason, Sr. wrote:
> On Saturday 25 September 2021 06:36:34 pm Dan Ritter wrote:
> > If the system will not let you login as root from the graphical
> > display manager, it's the GDM's fault. It may be a configurable
> > option in its /etc/whateverdm. If not, you can always replace a
> > recalcitrant GDM with original xdm, which doesn't care so much.
>
> That appears to be the problem.  GDM?  What do I need to be looking at here?

It's not a problem as such: it's the safe default.It's in the /etc/gdm3
settings.

Follow the clues form the blog below:

https://economictheoryblog.com/2015/11/08/how-to-enable-gui-root-login-in-debian-8/

Edit /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf and add

AllowRoot=true under [security]

Then edit /etc/pam.d/gdm-password and comment out (with a #) the line

auth required pam_succeed_if.so.user != root quiet_success

This may help but is desperately insecure. You're an experienced user so
this is an informed choice that you choose to make for your system.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater