Android SDK: "The SDK directory is not writable"

Hello list,

I'm having an issue with building my first project with the
android-sdk package on Bullseye. I'm getting the error listed in the
subject line (The SDK directory is not writable
(/usr/lib/android-sdk)) which obviously makes sense, since we
shouldn't be able to normally write to /usr/lib right? But that's the
default place that the android-sdk package installs the sdk files. Is
there an alternate installation method I should be using, or am I
actually supposed to make /usr/lib/android-sdk writable by a user
account?

Thanks,
Alexis