Re: Proprietary USB Drivers; Ya Gotta' Love'em.

On Saturday 25 September 2021 14:11:30 Martin McCormick wrote:

> Charles Curley <charlescurley@charlescurley.com> writes:
> > Possibly a known kernel bug.
> >
> > https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/538695-USB-driver-Zero-Le
> >ngth-Descriptor
> >
> > https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/1507709452-31260-1-git-send-email-msala
> >u@iotecha.com/
> >
> > --
> > Does anybody read signatures any more?
> >
> > https://charlescurley.com
> > https://charlescurley.com/blog/
>
> 	Thank you.  That's got to be it.  I've been doing debian Linux since
> right around 2000 but I must admit that I don't know the easiest
> way to include the patch referenced in the second link.
>
> 	I will need to do that on an i86 box plus the Raspberry Pi
> I first discovered the issue on since I am apt to have the radio
> connected to either system and, if this problem is fixable, this
> solution is preferable because the radio defaults to using the
> usbC port as the serial port so it should still work if a full
> reset is ever needed and the mechanism for usb should naturally
> accept as many different devices as practical because you never
> know what you will need to connect until you try it and it fails.
>
> 	As an amusing aside, the radio has a usb mode, but
> that's totally unrelated because in that case, USB stands for
> upper side band and is a very energy-efficient method of radio
> communication because it is only a spectrum of frequencies
> consisting of the sidebands of an audio signal without the
> carrier.  It can be LSB or lower side band or USB for upper side
> band.  Nothing like a few new acronyms for your day. I guess that's
> TMI.

You forgot to mention it can get the message thru better because it has a
12 db advantage over competing noise compared to the original AM,
sometimes called Ancient Mary in our circles.

> Martin McCormick     WB5AGZ

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis