Re: Debian 11: Nvidia NVS 310 with nvidia driver freezes after two days

On Tue, 21 Sep 2021, Roger Price wrote:

   Nvidia drivers
   --------------

Card Quadro 4000, GF100GL. 390.144. Freezes with blank monitors after 15 minutes. Card temperature 85C.

Card NVS 310. 390.144.  Freezes with monitors lit after 15 mins - 3 hours.

Card Quadro P400, GP107GL. 460.91. Card temperature 46C. Freezes with blank monitors before 30 mins.

   Current situation

I wondered if a common feature of all the freezing was the automatic screen saver failing, so I installed xscreensaver and configured it to start saving my screen after 10 mins inactivity with the Quadro P400 card + 490.91 driver. This has so far held up for 22 hours. If it holds up for a week, I will report it as a candidate workaround.

The workaround has held up for 5 days. I use xscreensaver options "Only One Screen Saver", "SlideScreen", Blank after 10 minutes, No lock screen, No Display Power Management. This keeps the monitors busy.

I tried turning on Display Power Management and ended up with frozen monitors.

It looks as if the nvidia driver 460.91 (and other versions) breaks when attempting to save energy with iiyama 2783QSU monitors.

Roger