Re: Development permissions

On Wed, 22 Sep 2021, Paul M. Foster wrote:

This is more or less the solution I tried. However, when a user creates a file on this system, the permissions are (for example) paulf:paulf. This means that, despite the directory permissions, other users won't be able to modify the file normally (assuming a system umask of 022).

However, I did just read an excellent explanation of the setgid bit, which apparently, sets the GID of a created file to that of the directory, rather than the file's creator. This might work. I haven't tested it yet.

I've heard of ACLs, but never had the need to user or learn about this. I'm assuming that attending to ACL issues requires additional steps in the creation/editing/deletion of files?

chmod 2775 on the directory and make the group of the directory a group
that all of the users belong to.

(sorry, I'm really old school and I don't know what the "modern"
equivalent is for that without going to the man page, the flags are
drwxrwsr-x)

Then any files created in that directory should get the correct group
for everybody to have access.

You'll have to ensure everybody has the correct umask (002).

Tim.