Re: A bug in Vim, in Mate Terminal or in Debian 11?

On Sun, Sep 19, 2021 at 02:25:25PM -0300, Dedeco Balaco wrote:
> Em 19/09/2021 14:07, Greg Wooledge escreveu:

> > Oh, are you saying that you're not using Debian's default PS1?  That's
> > probably why it's no longer working the way you expected.

> I do not understand you. I have said my prompt is (and always were)
> fancy. Then, you say that this might be the cause of the problem - BUT,
> as a possible try to solve, you tell me to make another fancy prompt.
>
> And do not forget one thing: the tabs' titles are working almost as they
> were before. With vim, sometimes, it does not reset when vim exits, as
> it always did, since around 20 years ago.
>
> I check all lines in /etc/skel/.bashrc. It does not show me anything
> new. My prompt contains only things that it has, and sometimes different
> (skel does not use as many colors as i do, for PS1).

You customized your .bashrc and changed your prompt (the PS1 variable)
yourself.  That's fine.  You're absolutely allowed to do that (I do it
too).

If you want the terminal title to be set to a useful value when vim exits,
then the most obvious way to do it is to change PS1 as I said in the
write your own additional code.

I'm trying to give you the *simplest* answer that will work.  Copying
a small chunk of code from Debian's /etc/skel/.bashrc file to your
~/.bashrc file is the simplest answer.

But you also seem to be determined to find out how it used to work
in stretch.  I don't know how it worked in stretch.  I don't use
mate-terminal, or Mate, or even a desktop environment.  So I can't help
you figure out how it worked before.

All I can help you with is making it work *now*.