Re: A bug in Vim, in Mate Terminal or in Debian 11?

On Sun, Sep 19, 2021 at 09:44:58AM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> I've no Mate terminal here (just plain xterm), but this fourth way is
> the one Debian chose for me: the shell prompt (via the PS1 variable)
> is the one working the magic. I guess Mate terminal works as Xterm
> here.
>
> It's defined to be
>
>   tomas@trotzki:~$ echo $PS1
>   \[\e]0;\u@\h: \w\a\]${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\u@\h:\w\$

Ah yes, good old Debian /etc/skel/.bashrc at work.  Presumably you
mean this section:

# If this is an xterm set the title to user@host:dir
case "$TERM" in
xterm*|rxvt*)
    PS1="\[\e]0;${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\u@\h: \w\a\]$PS1"
    ;;

I don't know what mate-terminal uses for $TERM, or what it used back
in stretch, but it's something the OP could research, I suppose.  If
it changed from "xterm" to "mate-terminal" or something along those
lines, that would certainly explain the change.