Mutt/Neomutt and mailcap

As there are a lot of Mutt/Neomutt users on this list, maybe someone can
point me in the right direction.

Recently via another mailing list a message was posted that included a
diff file with the extension of .patch.  The MIME encoding is shown as
application/octet-stream, using Neomutt's view command.

Pressing Enter on the file name resulting in Geany (GUI text editor)
being opened with the file.  Nothing in my ~/.mailcap nor anything in
/etc/mailcap mapped Geany to this MIME encoding/file name.

As I hadn't been using Geany, I removed it and added the following line
to my ~/.mailcap:

application/octet-stream; vim %s; description=Patch file; nametemplate=%s.patch

Now Neomutt calls less to show the file!

I'm left to be scratching my head as shown here:

$ neomutt -nF /dev/null -Q mailcap_path
set mailcap_path = "~/.mailcap:/usr/share/neomutt/mailcap:/etc/mailcap:/usr/etc/mailcap:/usr/local/etc/mailcap"

only ~/.mailcap and /etc/mailcap exist on my system.  I see that less
only shows twice in /etc/mailcap for text/plain and text/*, though the
latter is followed by a text/* that specifies vim.  In ~/.mailcp less is
not shown anywhere.

I'm rather puzzled, to say the least.

- Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us