Re: Soft link confusion

On 8/29/21 4:59 PM, Gary L. Roach wrote:
Hi all,

I don't have occasion to use links very often and tend to get confused as to which direction the link is pointing. Specifically, I am trying to redirect backuppc files from the normal /var/lib/backuppc directory to another disk mounted at /media/Backup, a 1TB disk that is not being used. I wrote "ln -s /var/lib/backuppc  /media/Backup". This produced "backuppc -> /var/lib/backuppc" on the 1TB disk. The problem is that I now have duplicate files in both places. Specifically the cpool, log, pc, and pool directories appear on both drives. This is obviously not what I want. I need the pool files on the Backup disk and not on my system disk. What have I done wrong.

Sincerely appreciated any help.

Gary R

Rather than trying to symlink the backup repository directory out from underneath backuppc (which could lead to confusion and disaster in the future when you have forgotten about the symlink), can you change a backuppc configuration setting so that the backups are put where you want them?

David