Re: colors messed up after X screen lock (buster with xfce)

On 8/26/21, Roland Winkler <winkler@gnu.org> wrote:
> I am running debian 10 (buster with xfce).  Graphics works fine
> initially.  Yet after an X screen lock, all colors are messed up.
> The same hardware was previoulsy running fine when I was xubuntu 16.04.
> What can be causing this?  Thanks!

Hi! I don't have an answer as to what's causing it. I just wanted to
chime in that I think I've probably experienced what you're
describing. In fact, I did about 2 days ago again, and it's on XFCE4
here, too.

This has been for both Buster and Bookworm now. It happens when I
first open the Einstein "card" game.

The initial screen will fritz then the entire system stays that way if
I can find the exit button to escape out of Einstein. It's a hard job
trying to hunt and poke for the right buttons to attempt a safe,
normal reboot that doesn't harm data any more than necessary. The
colors will settle down after a reboot, but the ordeal will repeat
itself if I forget and try to play (the very addictive) Einstein
again.

The only fix I've been able to find is to reinstall my Debian. All I
can figure is that something's not set up right. To date, my brain
hasn't functioned fast enough to think to check the logs at the moment
this glitch occurs. Those logs are still around, but, again, the
brain's not up to the challenge. Too much distraction......

For me, this glitch doesn't happen again on a "properly" installed new
setup. I can't remember for the Bullseye occurrences, but the Bookworm
was surely a malformed install. I badly flubbed my initial rsync
backup copy of a new debootstrap, and it just escalated from there
when I tried to use that same backup copy as the starter kit for a
second partition. The only reason I know the backup copy was flubbed
is because of that really nasty looking visual glitch. :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey
* runs with birdseed *