Re: disk recovery question

On 2021-08-24 at 12:12 +0300, Reco wrote:
> 	Hi.
>
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2021 at 12:04:40PM +0300, Semih Ozlem wrote:
> > I accidentally turned my hard disk to swap (I was using a usb for
> > swap,
> > when entering the command I wrote the wrong disk id). Can I recover
> > the
> > disk to its previous form?
>
> Most of the files are likely were left intact, but the partition
> table
> is likely to be destroyed.
> I suggest doing the usual:
>
> 1) Immediately copy all disk contents by ddrescue (or equvalent)
> elsewhere.
> 2) Put the disk in question aside, do not attach it to anything.
> 3) Operate on disk copy from pt 1 only.
> 4) Install "testdisk" package, and feed your disk image to photorec
> (it's
> provided by "testdisk").
>
> Reco

Actually, testdisk itself (not photorec) is probably able to recover
the header. mkswap seems to only touch little more than the first 1000
bytes (plus a label). *If* it wasn't actually used as a swap disk (in
which case, who knows what might have been overwritten), everything
will be there.

If you turned into a swap the full disk, and not a partition, then
"only" the partition table and/or bootloader will have been
overwritten, which should be quite recoverable by testdisk (and
reinstalling grub, probably).

Good luck