Re: can't login via gdm

> On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 07:00:38PM +0000, Morgan Read wrote: >>> Starting that from / is horrifying. I would have started from >>> /home, >> >> But, all recklessness aside - what would be the correct command to >> achieve the end sought? > > I'm not quite sure what that "end" is. We were never given the > whole picture. From what I was able to piece together from the > original message, the OP had three user accounts on their system, > with UIDs 1000, 1001 and 1002. They wanted to "+1" each UID, turning > UID 1002 into UID 1003, and so on down the line. Why they wanted to > do this was never stated.

Thank you very much Greg for your detailed reply - and my apologies for not coming back to you sooner, but I've had a little struggle getting myself back up and running over the past few days or so.

The object of the exercise was to get my laptop a little more in tune with my home server - I back up my two laptop user accounts to the server (there's a guest account too); I started with one admin user on my server but then needed user accounts to match my laptop accounts - but, my admin account was at 1000 which is where my first laptop user account was...  The rest follows with a predictable logic - except that I felt that having the admin account on 1000 was aesthetically pleasing :)

> change only UID 1000 to UID 1003, leaving UIDs 1001 and 1002 alone.
guess that's aesthetics again - my personal account was my first account, so that's where I prefer it in the pecking order...

> 6) If you're really paranoid, look for any other files owned by UID

> 1000 anywhere on the system: find / -user 1000 -ls If you do find > any, deal with them manually.
Thank you - that does seem a little less reckless than my initial approach...

I have a RAID on the server I back up to - I guess I'll do for it as you suggest I do for the home directories.

Keep well.
--
Morgan Read

UNITED KINGDOM