Re: Wishing for an off-topic mail list with debian-user participants (or most of them) (was: Re: On improving mailing list [was: How to Boot Linux ISO Images Directly From Your Hard Drive Debian])

On Wednesday, August 18, 2021 07:27:17 AM Dan Ritter wrote:
> I think the primary use case of debian-user-offtopic would be to
> have a place for people on debian-user to tell others to move
> their threads.

That sounds like a useful thing -- somebody could point out that a post is off-
topic and request that the OP (and responders) move the discussion there
(including the original post).

(Or, of course, ideally the poster would recognize that a subject was off topic
and post it to that list right from the start.)

> Would it thrive independently of that? Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps
> more so if all the subscribers of debian-user were automatically
> subscribed to debian-user-offtopic, and had to unsubscribe
> manually.

I like that idea also.

Maybe also add a short blurb at the bottom of debian-user (like the
unsubscribe blurb -- oh, wait, on this list that is in the headers and not
immediately visible in my email client (List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:debian-user-
request@lists.debian.org?subject=unsubscribe>) -- I think it would take
something more visible.

People who are willing to "consider" off topic questions could remain
subscribed, people who wanted no part of off topic discussions could
unsubscribe.

Hmm, not sure the idea is ready for prime time, but maybe still worth
discussing / considering.,,