Re: Debian 11: sources.list for conservative server?

On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 11:28:28AM +0100, piorunz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On my Debian 11 system I have currently only two repositories:
>
> deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye main
> deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye-security main
>
> I know there is also bullseye-updates, as per:
> https://wiki.debian.org/StableUpdates
>
> But do I need it? All packages which are being put into proposed-updates
> and bullseye-updates, eventually land in main bullseye repository,
> right? So if I want most conservative approach for my server, bullseye
> and bullseye-security is all I need?

The use or not of stable updates does not really affect how conservative
your configuration is.  The examples given on the wiki, virus
definitions and timezone data updates, are the sort of thing that do not
warrant a security update and associated advisory, but which should be
made available to users in a relatively quick fashion.  The stable
updates process accomplishes that.  Everything that goes into stable
updates must adhere to the criteria for an update in the stable release.
The criteria are very strict and conservative.

So, in summary, if your server has a need for timely update of virus
definitions and timezone data, you probably need the benefit of stable
updates.  If you do not have a need for those things, then the choice is
essentially a matter of personal preference.

Regards,

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sánchez