Re: Moving from Testing to Stable + Backports

On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 05:10:36AM -0400, Michael Grant wrote:
> I've been using Testing for about a decade now with very few problems.
> But now I'm moving to Stable.

> ----sources.list----
> deb     http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ bullseye-security main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ bullseye-security main contrib non-free
>
> deb     http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye-backports main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye-backports main contrib non-free
>
> deb     http://deb.debian.org/debian/   bullseye main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/   bullseye main contrib non-free

You're missing the "bullseye-updates" repository, but it's optional.  If
the lines above were the only lines in your sources.list, you would be
doing it correctly.

Bullseye-backports is also optional, and there probably aren't any yet.
And even when there are some, there's no guarantee that you'll need them.
Personally, I prefer to leave the -backports out of it unless and until
I actually need one.  But if you want to bring it in proactively, that's
acceptable.

> deb     http://deb.debian.org/debian/   testing main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/   testing main contrib non-free

*THIS*, however, is wrong.

With testing lines added to your sources.list, you are not running stable
(bullseye) any longer.  You are still running testing, just with a
fallback option to retrieve bullseye packages as well.

> deb     http://deb.debian.org/debian/   experimental main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/   experimental main contrib non-free

And this is just stupid.  Remove this immediately.