Re: password set at installation of debian-10.10.0-amd64 not recognized

On Sun, Aug 15, 2021 at 12:15:07PM +0300, Reco wrote:
> 	Hi.
>
> On Sun, Aug 15, 2021 at 08:49:49AM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

[...]

> > Up to now, there is exactly one case I am aware of when you'd wish
> > you had a root password: at boot, the root file system is deemed
> > too broken to mount, and you are told to fix it manually.
> >
> > Of course, there are ways around that, but all of them involve having
> > access to another living instance of an operating system,
>
> Booting an existing system with init=/bin/sh does not require one to
> know a root password, and allows full access nevertheless.

You don't really get that far if your root FS is unmountable.

> Of course, a console access is required, but the same can be said about
> any kind of a rescue media.

definitely.

> > Does anyone know other cases where you'd wish you had a root password?
>
> I can think of nothing, short of broken third-party software that
> insists on executing "su -".

Apart from, of course "I don't want sudo on my box", which, to me, looks
like a perfectly valid reason (not that this is /my/ standpoint: I'm a
happy sudo customer, but I know folks who do take this standpoint and
have all my respect).

Cheers
 - t