Re: PSA: 'apt-get update' new-Debian-release error fix

On 2021-08-14 at 19:41, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 14, 2021 at 07:26:44PM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:

>> The warnings I'd be OK with; I might even be OK with the errors,
>> except for the fact that they point not to anything with useful
>> information but to a place which doesn't actually tell you anything
>> helpful.
>
> Yeah, the DD who replied with "If you run it interactive, you get
> asked directly" clearly had no idea....

If I remember that exchange correctly, that seems to have been a case of
confusion about which front-end was being used. If you run 'apt'
interactively rather than for scripting purposes, I understand that you
*do* get asked directly; if you run 'apt-get', however, you don't.

> In any case, it sounds like your machines have some unique setup
> that's triggering the symptoms in cases where other people won't
> experience them.  For now, I'm going to assume that the problem is
> unique to you, unless/until someone else reports it.

I'd be glad of that, but given the number of other people reporting the
problem in that collection of bug reports, don't expect it to be the
case; that was part of what led me to report the solution here in the
form of a PSA, rather than bringing it up in some other way or just not
mentioning it at all.

> Also, the fact that people apparently can't manage to find the
> NewInBuster page that describes the symptom and its workaround (not
> even with Google?) is sad.

I didn't even look this time, since I'd had to look so hard last time
and found nothing anyway. I just ran 'reportbug apt', filtered the list
of bugs for mention of 'secure', and looked at the first bug report -
out of, IIRC, three or four - whose title seemed relevant.

--
   The Wanderer