Re: PSA: 'apt-get update' new-Debian-release error fix

On 2021-08-14 at 19:06, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 14, 2021 at 06:26:07PM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> I had enough trouble with this at the last Debian release,
>
> ... but not this time, right?

Yes, this time; in fact...

>> For anyone who uses 'apt-get update' - and, I suspect, any other tool
>> than 'apt' itself - to update the list of available packages from the
>> new release, you're at least moderately likely to see the update attempt
>> fail with error messages like the following:
>>
>> > E: Repository 'http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stable InRelease' changed its 'Codename' value from 'buster' to 'bullseye'
>
> You copied this from the NewInBuster wiki most likely.

...nope, I copied it from a terminal on my computer, where it had just
been output on my initial 'apt-get update' attempt.

> That's where I put it, when I ran into this issue two years ago, and
> documented it there.  It's even the same mirror that I use (which is
> no longer the default, hence it standing out).
>
> The issue did not happen this time around.  Instead of getting an
> "E:" line (error), you only get a bunch of N: (warning) lines.
>
> You're trying to solve a problem that doesn't actually exist any
> more.

I would love for that to have been the case, but my experience does not
reflect it being so.

Maybe somehow I'm running an older apt-get version than what has the
fix(es)? But as far as I know that's shipped in the 'apt' package, and I
have that at version 2.2.4, which is what's currently in both stable and
testing (unsurprising given that they should currently be nearly identical).

--
   The Wanderer