Re: Root location

Hi,

On 2021-08-13 8:33 a.m., Henning Follmann wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 13, 2021 at 11:15:10AM +0300, Gunnar Gervin wrote:
>> I tried to partition with rEFInd because Linux Mint 19 i386 xfce 32bit
>> worked with EFI. In hope to upgrade to x86-64bit. After it looked like all
>> good, I went out, thinking it was OK. But installation came back to start,
>> asking me to choose put boot in Mbr, Partition with Gparted or Abort. Mbr
>> resulted in warning. Gparted offered grub bios, took that, result was root
>> in /target
>> instead of in /dev/sda1
>> Now:
>> lsblk
>> sda1 148G  part  /
>> sda3  999M  part
>>
>> Looks okay;
>> sda1 as root
>> sda3 as swap
>>
>> Better I try boot
>> Then see what happens.
>> (Later upgrade to 64bit if I can).
>> BR,
>> Gunnar
>
> Hello,
> I think you are making this way too difficult for yourself.
> Maybe you are following some recipes you found through google.
> These are most likely outdated and it is much simpler today.
> I converted a number of Macs into linux machines, including
> one powerpc one. And maybe ten years ago you had to handle
> with refid, these days you just can use the installer and
> almost everything (except the driver for the wifi cards)
> just works.
>
> Please post the actual cpu this machine has. Then we can tell you
> what to do to install debian on that machine.
> Please tell us also about the amount of memory installed.

All this can probably be found in a previous thread. But I do remember
this is not the first thing the question about "What are you running
under" and that the answer seem hard to get.

If my memory is good it's a MacBook but I don't think we ever got the
CPU type or the amount of memory installed.

Looking at the size of the hard drive (which was installed by himself,
Toshiba brand) we normally get a good idea about the age of the computer
if it's the original hard drive. Not the case this time...

Maybe running hwinfo --all > hwinfo.txt and after pasting the content of
hwinfo.txt could be of some help.

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside