Re: Reply configuration (was: All-in-One printer: HP OfficeJet 8012)

On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 12:23:53PM -0000, Curt wrote:
> On 2021-08-11, <tomas@tuxteam.de> <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 07:25:40AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >> This is a mailing list, one I've been subbed to for at least a decade. It
> >> has rules, often violated without realizing it. You come roaring in here
> >
> > Agreed. Less roaring would be... nicer. For all of us :-)
>
> My only objection is that the geometry, as they say in French, of who
> does and doesn't adhere to any given rule is totally variable.

Ah, géométrie variable :-) Yes, you are definitely right, especially
wrt to a world-wide mailing list with as many subscribers as this.

>                                                         I recall
> vividly (and selectively, but memory can be like that) a quite long
> thread in which many of our venerable and often infuriatingly redundant
> dinosaurs participated concerning the Oberon mail client [...]

Yes, I dimly remember.

> What's good for the goose must be good for the gander, or it's no good
> at all.

It's difficult to set hard-and-fast rules. And soft rules do change
over time. Generous amounts of Postel's principle seem to be in
order -- or put another way: try to not assume malice. Try hard.

Most of the time "chastising", "warning" or "killfiling" would seem
too harsh to me. A friendly reminder, perhaps.

I try to make a rule for me that only when someone is insulting
someone else a limit is reached. And that I could be wrong in my
perception, so I'm strongly dependent on others to correct that.

What seems important to me is that, as cultural heterogeneity
here seems to be high [1], Postel's principle applies even more.

Cheers
 - t