Re: Bash script problem

On Fri, 6 Aug 2021 at 13:06, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri 06 Aug 2021 at 09:30:17 (+1000), David wrote:

> > 'chmod -R' is less useful because it does not discriminate
> > between files and directories, I never understood why it
> > does not offer that option, because usually we need all file
> > permissions to not be the same as all directory permissions.
>
> ?
>
> I thought that was what X is for. A demonstration:

[...]

> All the directories get execute permission.

Thank you very much for alerting me to X.
I had never noticed it before.
This is why I asked, to get feedback in case
I was overlooking something.

A few years ago I wrote a shell script to do recursive
chmod that allows different permissions to be specified
for subdirectories and files under a specified top directory,
so I never thought about this issue again after that.