Re: [OFFTOPIC] Mass storage prices and form factor (was: ISO to external SSD)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> That makes 3½" form factor even more dead than I thought (two 4TB 2½"
> drives should offer better performance than one 8GB 3½" drive and use
> less space, not sure about power consumption).

Erm. You just doubled your failure rate. There are times when
that's worthwhile, but if you want performance, SSDs are a
better way of getting to it.

> I wonder what kind of drives are used nowadays in big datacenters (and
> whether the prices they pay for them looks anything like the ones
> above).

I think my company is in the medium-sized datacenter group. We
use 8-14TB 3.5" spinning disks at prices pretty similar to what
you've got above, and 0.5-8TB SSDs at prices... above what
you've got below, but not breathtakingly more expensive.

ext4 on MD RAID1 and 10, ZFS in equivalents.

> For completeness, here's the list for SSDs:
>
>    ½TB $ 60 2½" SSD            120 $/TB
>    1TB $100 2½" SSD            100 $/TB
>    2TB $244 2½" SSD            122 $/TB
>    4TB $540 2½" SSD            135 $/TB
>
> so about 4x the price per TB (and here the linear price curve makes
> a lot more sense).

-dsr-