Correction: Re: Persistent names for audio devices.

The Subject of my preceding message was a blunder.

System board and PCI sound hardware

    From: peter@easthope.ca
    Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 20:20:16 -0700
> Got sound from the Intel device on the system board.  Oddly enough
> there was a plastic cover over the sockets on the chassis back.  Pried
> it off to plug the speaker jack.

Also disconnected the front panel socket cable from the PCI sound card
and connected it to the connector marked "FP AUD" on the system board.

Now
set AUDIODEV=plughw:CARD=ICH5,DEV=0 ; play /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav
and
set AUDIODEV=plughw:CARD=ICH5,DEV=0 ; play /home/peter/m08.WAV
deliver sound to the green sockets, one on the back of the chassis and
one on the front.

No success getting sound from the PCI sound card.  Ie.
set AUDIODEV=default:CARD=Live ; play /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav
set AUDIODEV=sysdefault:CARD=Live ; play /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav
set AUDIODEV=rear:CARD=Live,DEV=0 ; play /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav
give silence.

USB sound adapters

No sound from commands such as these.
set AUDIODEV=default:CARD=Set ; aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav
set AUDIODEV=default:CARD=Set ; play /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav
set AUDIODEV=sysdefault:CARD=Set ; play /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav
set AUDIODEV=surround71:CARD=Set,DEV=0 ; play /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav
set AUDIODEV=dmix:CARD=Set,DEV=0 ; play /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav
set AUDIODEV=usbstream:CARD=U0x46d0x807 ; play /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav

Nevertheless the USB adapter delivers the linphone ring.  The USB
hardware works. No clue why aplay and play commands don't work for the
USB hardware.

Conclusions

Receive audio messages via the sound hardware on the system board.
Ignore the PCI sound card.
USB is a question.

Regards,                               ... P.

--
48.7693 N 123.3053 W
tel: +1 604 670 0140