Re: listing initrd content

On 2021-08-02 at 07:51, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 02, 2021 at 07:41:03AM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> On 2021-08-02 at 07:25, Greg Wooledge wrote:
>>
>> > unicorn:~$ lsinitrd /boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-8-amd64 | wc -l
>> > 1646
>> > unicorn:~$ lsinitramfs /boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-8-amd64 | wc -l
>> > 1635
>> >
>> > Curious.
>>
>> Try a diff between the lsinit* outputs? I don't have dracut-core
>> installed, or I'd run the test myself just out of curiosity.
>
> I didn't have it either; I installed it specifically to test this thing.
> Unfortunately, installing it also brought in "cryptsetup" and related
> packages, which modified the initrd images.  Because of that, I don't
> recommend this test for anyone else.

dracut-core has cryptsetup in Recommends:, so that could be avoided with
--no-install-recommends. Maybe try removing dracut-core, 'apt-get
autoremove' / 'apt-get remove $(deborphan)' etc. till nothing new is
removed, then install dracut-core again without Recommends and see if
that improves things any?

That's a bigger and more drastic operation than it sounded like when I
started writing out the steps, though, so maybe not worth bothering with.

--
   The Wanderer